Ginger mounds have become another staple in our home around Christmas time. My mother-in-law passed me this recipe and it’s one of our favourites. Be sure that your spices are fresh to enjoy all the flavour. I also like my cookies a bit chewy so I cook them for 12 minutes.
Yields: 4 dozen cookies
Preheat oven 325 F
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 molasses
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer, mix the shortening and sugar together.
- Add in 1 egg and the molasses.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Shape into small balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 mins or until golden brown.